Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

October, 2011

October, 2011
Chess in Lausanne, Switzerland

Monday, December 1, 2008

December 1

I caved.

Last week I really thought -- for all of 24 hours, perhaps, that I could grow out my hair and that it wouldn't drive me crazy, that I would be ok w/ "big hair" (let's face it -- any hair is big when compared to how closely cropped I've kept mine the last several years).

I even had myself somewhat convinced that it wouldn't drag my face down or bury my cheekbones. (Never mind that the more obsessed I became w/ my hair -- which I normally don't worry about once someone has cut off as much as possible without making me feel militaresque...though I guess I have been known to stalk other women w/ great short hair to find their hairdresser. So maybe I am obsessed. Stalking anyone here led to nothing -- all Indian women, young and old, have long hair. Anyone w/ short hair is a foreigner holding out to get it cut in the UK, Australia, etc.)

Anyway, all this pipedreaming about long flowing straight dark-going-gray hair went out the window when I woke up this morning. NO WAY was I going to be able to make it til Xmas vacation, letting this mop grow out, until I got somewhere where I could find an English speaking hair stylist with short, feminine hair-cutting expertise.

Thus led me to a salon at the Galleria shopping center. Frankly no research involved here; we rounded a corner on the upper level, I spotted a salon, poked my head in, all men in the salon had good hair (and no bad red dye jobs). So I asked the cost -- approx. $10 -- and if it was ok if my 2 small sidekicks watched.

Thirty minutes later I walked out quite happily, with less hair and the man's biz card in hand for my next hair cut fix. I was practically giddy with the experience, so thrilled was I to be in the chair w/ a cape on, watching hair fall around me. After all, it had been more than my typical 5-week hair cut stretch. Oh the small things in life...

We also set about getting Xmas cards made today (yes, late start, what can I say) and by the time these folks get a proof of said card to me (they created it while I watched -- so much for those snapfish templates), you stand to get a card from us sometime in February.

But it was quite fun; the kodak folks invited us behind the counter to pull up the photo off of yahoo, then they created the card while I got a pedicure (I no longer have calluses on my feet, first time in 20 years -- feels great until I try to run later this week).

After giving the ok on the card to the kodak guy, I asked about timing for printing these things...wherein I was told "plenty of time -- it isn't Xmas for another 24 days..." (Maybe February is being optimistic.)

Then we talked price -- 20 rupees per card. I walked out paying 14. I do love the bargaining piece.

No other late breaking news -- heightened security (expected) at the hotel, hoping to bury our heads in the sand in Australia for Xmas.

No comments:

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi
Largest mosque in India