Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

October, 2011

October, 2011
Chess in Lausanne, Switzerland

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Kiwis and motorcycles

Ok -- I forgot to make note of these observations yesterday:

- Kiwis -- had no idea they could taste so good. Each day fruit is delivered to our room; they're my new favorite. Ava's all about the kiwi too. Claire remains, as always, skeptical of anything green.

- Motorcycles. Who knew you could fit 5 people on one...while driving at 55 mph+ sans helmets, weaving in/out of EXTREMELY BUSY roads where lanes seem optional. It's actually quite common to see the entire family perched on said set of wheels, and we're not talking about a big Harley-sized one (no side cars, either).

Imprinted on my memory, I think, will be the brightly colored saris flapping in the wind as the Indian woman sits side saddle behind the male driver. She seems to casually hold on with one hand. I refrain from imagining what would happen in the event of an accident.

- Something I read in the paper yesterday. Apparently the pollution from the Divali fireworks/crackers has shrunk the population of dengue fever-carrying mosquitoes and other bugs. I can only imagine what it's doing for our lungs.

- Incense in the hotel. I thought the whole place was suffering from poor air quality every morning. It's actually incense. Maybe I'll recommend a different flavor. LOL it's great to be learning so much!

On that note, back to my coffee.

No comments:

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi
Largest mosque in India