Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

October, 2011

October, 2011
Chess in Lausanne, Switzerland

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Divali and the zoo

Ok I'm really tired so will keep this short...
Yesterday we had a delightfully lazy Divali -- slept in, tried the chef-recommended dosas for breakfast (had another today -- like a crispy crepe rolled perfectly with a pototo curry filling, warm and yummy). Kids are sticking with pancakes, waffles and bacon.
We spent half the day by the pool, Ava and I swam (chilly water but fun!), Joe and Claire played cards. Apparently that's a common Divali pastime so you can say we jumped right into celebrating...
Yesterday evening we attended a big Divali feast and enjoyed all kinds of specialties from throughout the country. Don't ask me their names, I just know I tried a wide array of dishes, and most memorable were a couple items commonly sold on the street in Mumbai (sp). Stir-fried noodles with scallions, spices and tomatoes.
We went home with a box of special Divali desserts; rest assured I'm working my way through it.

We fell asleep to fabulous fireworks displays all around us!

The Zoo
Today, October 29, our driver took us to the Delhi Zoo. Thankfully we beat the crowd; I think many people had today off for the holiday so took the family to the zoo, too.
We all enjoyed the animals -- a wide array in nice settings, most in view even though it was warm. I had to laugh, though, I think we attracted as much or more attention than the animals. No doubt some of these folks haven't seen many foreigners, a contrast to many of the people we've encountered here in Gurgaon, where there are so many international companies. At the hotel alone the last few days we've encountered French, Germans, Australians, Japanese...

And at the local mall no one seemed to look twice at us tromping through.
I digress -- about the zoo...my favorite were the hippos -- I really did think they were big bumps of mud until one of them finally came up for air or a break or whatever it is hippos do. Ava preferred the alligators, who were dragging their tails in the water, either to cool off or as bait (Claire's suggestion).

Claire was most fond of the white tigers, which were truly magnificent.

We did learn to assert ourselves rather clearly while at the zoo -- someone tried to cut in line once, someone pushed Claire out of the way later and a woman tried to cut in front of me twice in the bathroom line. Given Claire really had to go, and that it was our turn and that I really had no plans to spend any more time in that bathroom than we needed to, I told her "no" once nicely, and the second time I cut her off at the pass (after she tried to push in front of me).

This evening our driver took us through the parliament and India gate area for the views at night -- incredibly pituresque with the boulevards and buildings lit. We took a stroll around the area, then picked Joe up from work and are now collapsing after a very full day!

3 comments:

Kate E. said...

Hey Brenda -- I so appreciate your sharing your adventures. What fun! It sounds as if you are imparting your love for travel and joy for celebrating diverse cultures with your two beautiful girls. What a wonderful gift. And I am sure your online journal will be another gift they will treasure as they grow older -- as I am sure you will, as well. Can imagine it might get tiresome some nights :-)

Warm regards, Kate

deana k said...

Why is it that the best stories seem to revolve around the bathroom?:) It sounds like you and the girls, and Joe are doing beautifully. I would have liked the white tigers too! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

Becky Mac said...

Morning Chick,
Thanks for the update. You are exhausted? Gee, I wonder why?! Busy, busy busy! Sounds like a fab time and would've loved or to have been a fly on the wall (or not :) ) to witness the "assertive American" moment. LOL!! Hug the girls for us and then give yourself one as well.
Have a great day!(evening?)
Beck

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi
Largest mosque in India