Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

Claire and Ava in Gruyeres, Switzerland

October, 2011

October, 2011
Chess in Lausanne, Switzerland

Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year, New Fridge

Well we’ve had an auspicious start to the New Year. Firecrackers, frescoes and REALLY good food in Italy -- and a new refrigerator under our tree. Well, that’s a bit of an exaggeration I suppose. It was hard enough getting the thing in the house, let alone under anything.

My friends from John Lewis tripped over yesterday to deliver a nice-looking silver mammoth (it’s actually a moderately sized appliance, bigger than most English versions, I guess). Happily I found one that is not a side-by-side, that fits the space, that does make ice (must keep husband happy) and that appears, at least so far, fingers crossed, to be working.

My diatribe on side-by-sides: (not a bad way to start the day, I’ve decided – a diatribe here and there)

I’ve grown to abhor side-by-sides, largely due to the lemon I watched being dragged out the front door yesterday.

But I also find the style comes up short -- the way I use a fridge (last several months aside, of course) – popping in the occasional cookie sheet for a quick freeze, finding a home for a turkey, pan and all, etc., I find the standard version more cook-friendly.

So here we have a fridge on top, freezer bottom model that was COLD inside when I checked on it this morning. Now I will spend the day deciding what to name it and how to coddle it…

On that note, back to Italy. Though I must also mention that I read yesterday how we’re having a record cold winter in London. Handy for my patio refrigeration back up, I must say. And as long as the heat continues to work, the sun shines and my collection of wool sweaters grows, I can handle the chill!

Christmas Day in Venice

We woke to hear copious amounts of sloshing this Christmas Day. The street below our room had to be negotiated with waders; apparently the hotel has plenty on hand for such occasions. (Frankly we all slept in, therein negating the need for any hiplength boots on our part.)

I started my Christmas Day 2009 with a cappuccino and Christmas carols in the hotel lounge, then took a nice long Christmas walk, something I think I’ve done most Christmases. It’s always a nice, quiet day to begin the day’s celebration, which is guaranteed to get noisier (in a good way) later.

A new Italian men were out and about, walking dogs or smoking.

We caught the tail end of breakfast – just love the coffee here, and who doesn’t like great brie?

We then hit noon Mass, a short walk around the corner to the Mass entrance of St. Mark’s Cathedral. It was in Italian but let’s face it, Mass is formulaic, so we got the gist. And we were out in 50 minutes; maybe these Italians could pass on some tips to the NC and TX Fathers?

Don’t I sound holy today. Well, it’s early and I haven’t had a lot of coffee. Maybe you’ll catch me w/ rosary beads later.

From Mass we made our way to Harry’s Bar, a legend in Venice and the birthplace of the Bellini. We hopped on bar stools amid a festive crowd of Italians, many with small dogs in sweaters. (Dogs abound here in Venice; maybe since you can’t use scooters, cars or bikes you go in for pets?)

We toasted the New Year, kids with sprite, Joe with champagne and me with, naturally, a Bellini. Very tasty, I might add.

Then we wandered Venice, eventually finding a snack at a touristy restaurant. Cheese pizza and mozzarella salad for us. We checked out a church here and there, some shops, stopped at a candy shop for a treat, and just enjoyed strolling with others out for their Christmas walk.

After some card games at the hotel we set out via water bus to a different part of a town for Christmas dinner at a restaurant recommended to us by our glass factory friends.

The place serves fabulous seafood – and treated us well for our holiday with a glass of prosecco and fish spread and polenta appetizer on the house. Joe and I shared the specialty of the house, a huge fish dish – mix of shrimp, white fish, squid & mussels over incredibly good, spicy pasta.

Ava had shrimp and pasta, and Claire stuck w/ the tried and true: olive oil and parm over noodles.

For dessert we enjoyed tiramisu.

Our boat road home was a delight in and of itself, with lights sparkling beautifully on the water. Venice is magical this time of year.

No comments:

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi

Jama Masjid, Old Delhi
Largest mosque in India